Amazon Fire TV stick got us addicted to the TVs by making them smart. We can stream the latest OTT series, watch YouTube content and much more.
The whole family now relies on it for entertainment. The remote control is handy and small, is often used, it will get stuck between the cushions of the sofa or kept in a corner. You will lose the Fire TV Stick remote more often and find that it is not the easiest thing to do.
If you’re into such a pickle, there are easier ways to use Fire TV without the remote.
Lost your Fire TV remote? Working solution is here
We will control Fire TV Stick without remote in several ways, including those without Wi-Fi. Let’s go through them all one by one. learn how to control fire stick without remote control†
Control Fire TV Stick with smartphone
Amazon has thought of remote control scenarios and designed a Fire TV remote app available for the leading smartphone operating systems.
Checklist before proceeding
- Make sure your Fire Stick and smartphone/device are on the same WiFi network.
- The TV and Fire TV Stick are powered on for the duration of the process.
- Log in to the associated Amazon account for the remote app to work.
1. If you can’t find the Fire TV stick remote, install the Fire TV remote app, available for android and iOS† Install the one that applies to your device.
2. Launch the app on the phone and your Fire Stick should appear in the discovery list. If the Fire Stick does not appear, try restarting it by turning it off and then ON.
3. A 4-digit code will appear on the Fire TV screen, which you must enter into the app to register the third-party app with the Fire Stick.
Enter the code and your Fire TV app will pair with the Fire TV stick connected to the TV. The user interface is similar to the placement of the buttons on the Fire TV Stick remote.
You can access settings, go to the home screen, search forwards/backwards and access your apps directly without the need for the remote control.
The best thing about the Fire TV Remote app is the keyboard. Typing on the Fire TV Stick with the remote is a tedious task. The app makes it incredibly easy to type anything using the device’s keyboard.
With the new update, the app also has a notification bar to operate. It allows you to control Fire TV Stick without opening the app in the app.
Control Fire TV Stick with TV Remote
Remark – Not applicable to older Fire TV Sticks with Bluetooth remotes.
Most modern TVs come with HDMI-CEC protocol remotes. The protocol essentially allows you to control multiple devices with a single remote. You can control the Fire TV Stick with the TV remote by pressing the buttons by default.
You can use the remote for primary navigation and functionalities. Don’t expect Alexa and special shortcuts to work with the standard TV remote.
Use the Amazon Fire TV app without WiFi
If you don’t have Wi-Fi and use Fire TV Stick via hotspot, there is a smart solution to use the remote app on Fire TV Stick.
This also comes in handy if your Wi-Fi is down for a day and you miss the remote. Let’s keep this scenario in mind and find an easy-to-use Fire TV Stick without remote control over mobile internet.
To do this, you’ll need two different smartphones: one for the Fire TV app and another for creating an internet hotspot.
1. First we need to create a hotspot on your smartphone #1.
– Go to Settings > Hotspot & Tethering > Enable Wi-Fi hotspot.
– Set the Hotspot the same as the name and password as the WiFi. This way, the Fire TV Stick connects to the same Wi-Fi router.
– Go to Settings > Cellular > Personal > Personal Hotspot or Settings > Personal Hotspot
2. After enabling the Wi-Fi hotspot on the phone, go to the Network on Fire TV Stick to confirm that the network is connected.
3. Now launch the Fire TV app on the phone and the remote will show as connected to the Fire TV stick.
Any Alexa powered speakers can send the content on your Fire TV Stick. Just say, “Alexa, play X from Netflix on my Fire TV,’ and the content is streamed on the TV.
Remember to have both devices logged in to the same account. Also make sure the speakers and Fire TV Stick are on the same Wi-Fi/Internet network.
Use keyboard and mouse to control Fire TV Stick
Not many people know that you can use a wired/wireless keyboard and mouse to control Fire TV Stick. Although it has its caveats, the functionality will be enough to solve the problem.
In the case of wire, you’ll need a micro USB splitter to connect the keyboard and mouse to the Fire TV Stick. You can take them off Amazon for under $7, which you plug into the only micro USB port on the stick.
For a wireless keyboard and mouse, you can pair them with the Fire TV Stick just like any other Bluetooth device.
Use an old Fire TV Stick remote
The remote from the older Fire TV Stick remotes without an error on newer versions. You can borrow them from friends or family if they have one laying around.
Power on the Fire TV Stick and TV, then press the Home button for about 20 seconds to pair. Refer to Amazon’s official support guide on how to use the Fire TV stick remotes for: a detailed explanation of how to proceed.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I lost my Fire TV Stick remote; what must we do?
Simply install the Fire TV app on your smartphone or device. Pair the Fire TV Stick with it and you can control everything on the TV with it. Refer to the first method we discussed in this article.
Remember to keep both the smartphone and the Fire TV Stick on the same Wi-Fi/Internet connection for this to work.
2. How do I use Fire TV Stick without a remote?
There are two easy ways to use a Firestick without needing a remote. The first is through the official app we talked about earlier. The second way is by using an old Fire TV remote that will work with most generations available now.
A third wildcard entry via the TV remote is a long shot, but it’s worth a shot.
3. Will the old Fire TV remote work with the new Fire TV Stick?
It will absolutely work with the new Fire TV Stick. The standard way is to hold the home button for 20 seconds to pair with the Fire TV stick. You can also refer to the guide we linked in the last section of the tutorial.
4. Can we replace the Fire TV remote with a new one?
The answer is YES, and you can easily replace the Fire TV remote with a new one. You can get an official new one or go for the third-party remotes that usually cost half.
Be sure to check if your old remote was infrared or Bluetooth before ordering one.
5. How do I pair an old Fire TV remote with a new Fire TV Stick?
The 20 second home button method generally works flawlessly. If things don’t go as planned, you’ll need to open the Amazon Fire TV app on the phone to get to the settings.
Then go directly to Settings > Controllers & Bluetooth Devices > Amazon Fire TV Remote and then press and hold the home button for 10 seconds to pair the remote.
6. Is WiFi required for Fire TV Stick?
Fire TV Stick requires internet and a WiFi connection is not necessary for the device to work. You can create a mobile hotspot and connect both the Fire TV Stick.
The streaming quality depends on your internet speed. A constant download of at least 2 Mbps and above ensures a seamless experience.
Back to you
All in all, this is what you do if the Fire TV Stick remote is lost. There are plenty of ways to use a Fire TV Stick without a remote. Start with the smartphone app before moving on to other viable options.