Transferring data and files between an iPhone and Mac is not rocket science. However, if you are completely new to using an iPhone or a Mac, chances are you need to check some features that allow easy transfer of the files.
After a lot of research, we managed to sort through the top 5 file transfer methods that we think are worth the time and effort.
This article will walk you through some of the key ways that work effortlessly.
AirDrop is Apple’s proprietary file sharing application that works on both iPhone and Mac. If you are not using this app before, we recommend that you follow the steps for easy and smooth file transfer from iPhone to Mac.
- On your iPhone, open the file you want to share
- Tap the Share icon
- Tap the Airdrop icon and select your connected Mac from the list
If you want to share the files from Mac to iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Right click on the specific file you want to share
- In the menu, hover over Share and tap AirDrop
- Tap the recipient iPhone you want to share the file with
- Tap Done
This will transfer the file from your iPhone to Mac and vice versa in no time.
2. iCloud Drive
If AirDrop fails the file transfer process, the next tip is to try iCloud Drive. However, it is a hectic process, especially the installation process. Once the installation is complete, you can follow the steps:
- Tap the file you want to share on iPhone
- Tap the Share icon
- Tap Save to Files
- Tap iCloud Drives in the new pop-up menu
- Tap Save
- Open your Macbook and click on the iDrive menu
Your transferred file should be stored there in that particular folder. You may need to scroll and navigate through the options to find the one you want.
3. Google Drive
Another cloud-based storage option that allows you to transfer all your files from iPhone to Mac effortlessly is Google Drive. It is quite a simple process and can transfer files from Mac to iPhone as well.
You get about 15 GB of data for free, after which you have to pay an extra amount per month to use extra storage space.
Using email for file transfers between an iPhone and Mac is quite an old-fashioned hack. However, it is a foolproof hack that works every time. Here’s what you can do:
- Open the file on your iPhone you want to share
- Tap the up arrow button, the Share button
- In the list, tap the Email button
- Once you have successfully emailed it to the email address provided, open the storage on your Mac
You should find the file transferred to your Inbox. You can open the file there and download it for further use.
5. Capture image
The last option to share the files from iPhone to Mac is by using the Image Capture application. Make sure your iPhone is unlocked and awake when using this particular app.
Here’s what to do:
- Connect your iPhone to the Mac with a USB cable
- On the Mac, tap the iPhone from the left side of the screen in the Image Capture application
- You can select the files and then the destination on the Mac to which the files will be transferred
Once the import process is complete, you should have transferred all the files from your iPhone to the Mac. You can then go ahead and disconnect the iPhone from the Mac by removing the USB cable.
File transfer is a very crucial activity that you need to master if you own a latest device. We hope this article gives you a comprehensive overview of the different ways you can share documents, files, images, videos, etc. from iPhone to Mac in five different ways. Always start with Airdrop as it is the most accessible. If that doesn’t work, you can try the other methods mentioned.