Setting up your iPhone is quite simple. However, some factors are more customized, including your iPhone’s display name. Technically, when you set up iPhone, the default name that comes up is “iPhone”, which is generic and therefore the generalization factor.
But you have to realize that no one wants to keep their iPhone’s name as iPhone. Not only is it unnecessary, but it also makes it difficult for you to find your iPhone in times of need. So, is there a way to change your iPhone’s name?
Fortunately, there is and we will discuss more about it in this article for your future reference.
Where would your device name appear?
Before you think about renaming your iPhone, it’s better that you know where the device’s name will appear.
Here are a few apps and elements where the iPhone device name appears:
- find my iphone
- Personal Hotspot
These apps share the name of your iPhone device every time you use the app. Being quite multifunctional and exclusive, changing the iPhone’s name to a unique one (like your name) can help you identify and differentiate your iPhone from others in the area.
How to change discoverable name on iPhone?
Now that you have a clear idea of the places or apps that will show the iPhone name, you need to understand how to change the discoverable name.
The steps are quite simple. So make sure to follow the steps accordingly:
- Unlock your iPhone then go to Settings
- Under Settings, go to General
- From there, tap About and then tap Name
- Next to the “Device Name” tap the x or cross button
- Enter the name you want to customize the device name with
- When you’re sure, tap Done
Footnote: If you want to add emojis to iPhone name, you can do that by entering the desired emojis from your keyboard.
How to Change iPhone Name with iTunes?
Not only through your device’s settings, you can also rename your iPhone through the iTunes app. This is a hidden secret that not many users are aware of.
So, here’s what you need to do:
- Connect your iPhone to a computer and launch iTunes
- Navigate to the top left corner of the window and tap the iPhone button
- In the sidebar, click on the “Device Name” field and enter the desired name you want to change it to
- When you’re done, hit return and you’re good to go
Changing the name of your iPhone device is not rocket science. It’s a few steps and doing this can help you customize the name of your device and make it easier for you to find it, especially when using apps like Find My iPhone, Hotspot, etc. Make sure you remember the name retains something unique so it is easier to spot.