Apple is known for enabling security and emergency features. Although they recently introduced the satellite-based Emergency SOS feature, it seems that the brand has something better up its sleeve.
If you’re a resident of California, Oregon, or Japan, three of the most earthquake-prone states and countries, you’ll probably find benefits in the new iOS earthquake warning feature.
Once enabled, the feature alerts the users to any ongoing or incoming earthquake that they need to be aware of, especially if it requires them to go to safe areas.
This article explains how to enable the iOS earthquake alert to keep yourself safe during impending shocks and vibrations in the area.
How to Enable iOS Earthquake Alert on iPhone Directly?
As we mentioned, if you live in California, Oregon, or Japan, enabling the iOS earthquake alert is pretty easy. All you have to do is follow the mentioned steps:
- Open Settings on your iPhone
- Navigate to Notifications
- Scroll down until you see the term “Government Alerts”.
- Toggle the Emergency Alerts and Public Safety Alerts options to green
Once you enable it, you will receive consistent updates on all types of natural disasters that may be happening in and around your location. This includes updates on earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.
How to Enable iOS Earthquake Alert Using an App?
If the above option doesn’t suffice your inner conscience and you want something more concrete, there are iOS apps that offer the same features.
To do this, you just need to follow the mentioned steps:
- Open App Store on your iPhone
- Navigate to the search button in the top right corner
- Type “MyShake” and press Enter
- Once you find the app, tap Get and start the installation process
- Once done, open the app and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
You do have to accept the license agreement in order to use the app, so that’s another thing to keep in mind. Once the installation is complete, enable this app’s notifications and alerts so that you receive them when earthquakes occur in or around your area.
These are the two most common methods to enable iOS earthquake updates on your iPhone. If you live in areas where earthquakes are quite common, we recommend knowing and enabling them without any doubt.