When it comes to the growing popularity of wireless headsets, nothing beats Airpods. With a few different variants already launched in the market, Airpods are now becoming a staple among users around the world.
With a sleek design and an impeccable array of features, including extended battery life, noise cancellation and a comfortable wearing experience. However, one of the most common confusions people have is with Apple’s Find My iPhone feature. Are the Airpods compatible with the feature?
Since Airpods are such compact products, it is very common to misplace them by accident. So, the Find My iPhone feature is one of the best ways to locate your product without any confusion.
This article describes how to add Airpods to the Find My iPhone feature for seamless tracking.
How to add Airpods to find my iPhone?
Your first step in connecting the iPhone to the Airpods is to make sure that your earbuds are connected to a device that is connected to your iCloud account. If you skip this step, chances are you won’t be able to arrange the required process.
Because your Airpods cannot be directly linked to iCloud, you have to use an Apple device as a buffer. iPhones work best in this case. However, a Mac and iPad also work. However, if you are using your Airpods with a Windows or Android device, you will not be able to use the Find My iPhone feature.
So your first step is to pair your Airpods with an Apple device by following these steps:
- Make sure both Airpods are in the case when pairing it with an Apple device.
- On your Apple device, you need to open the Settings and then go to Bluetooth. Turn on the switch if it is off.
- On the back of your Airpods case, long press the Setup button until the light starts blinking.
- On your Apple device, you need to pair it with your Airpods once the name appears in your Bluetooth settings.
Once your Airpods are connected to your Apple device, the next step is to connect it to Find My iPhone. We’ll talk more about that in the next subheading.
How do I enable Find My iPhone?
To enable the Find My iPhone feature, make sure that it is active on the main Apple device that your Airpods are connected to.
Here’s what you need to do to enable Find My iPhone:
- Open the Settings on your iPhone
- Tap your name and then navigate to the Cloud features. If your device supports iOS 10.2 and above, you can go directly to iCloud.
- Scroll down the list of options until you can trace Find My Option.
- From there, click on the Find My iPhone option.
- Set the switch to ‘On’. Below that, you need to enable the Send Last Location option.
All devices paired with your iPhone will then be set up for this feature, including your Airpods. It is imperative to keep this feature enabled especially if you don’t want to lose your phone in the future and never get your hands on it again.
How to locate the Airpods when online?
If you’ve lost one or both of the Airpods and can’t find them even after looking around, it’s best to use your iPhone for it.
The Find My iPhone feature takes care of that choice for you without any complications. This is what you need to do to find the lost Airpods:
- Open iCloud.com on your desktop, then sign in with your Apple ID.
- Below that, click Find iPhone.
- Click on All devices at the top and select your paired Airpods below.
If the Airpods are untraceable or somewhere the Find My iPhone feature can’t reach you will be notified. If each of the earbuds are in different locations, you will also get the location of the earbuds one by one. So you will first have to search for one and then continue searching for the other.
But what if the Airpods are offline? There may be instances where your Airpods are out of range or battery. In such cases, the Find My iPhone feature will not work. So what you can do is check the last location where it was found and move on from there.