Not many of us like being in a toxic group, but certain people add to us and there’s not much we can do to get rid of them. People usually think that leaving a group chat is hurtful or insulting, but that’s not the case. Sometimes we don’t like to be intoxicated by people belonging to those groups and want to leave the same for our peace.
If you’re also stuck in one of those boring and annoying groups, don’t worry anymore. It’s high time to say goodbye to the not so friendly people by clicking a few buttons. Here’s the comprehensive guide that walks you through some valid reasons for leaving the group, along with the step-by-step guide to doing the process.
What is a group chat?
You can send a group text message if there are at least three other people in the thread and they all have an Apple device, be it an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you don’t find an exit option, it indicates that one or more users are not using an iMessage app. If you don’t leave a group text message, you can choose to mute the chat so you don’t get a notification.
When should you leave a group chat?
There are plenty of reasons why leaving a group chat is the only option left. Some are listed here for the convenience of the user.
- You are not fond of the people in the chat room.
- The conversation doesn’t do much to improve your mood.
- You don’t like getting notifications that you haven’t read.
- The group conversation annoys you, and everything someone says annoys you.
- You find yourself ranting to your friends and relatives about the conversation.
- Even if the posts don’t interest you, you find yourself needing to read them.
- You disagree with the views and thoughts of the participants in the chat.
Everything points to it being time to leave the group chat. You may need to leave more than one chat; you may have to leave several. And chances are you already know you have to go and are just looking for an excuse to do it.
While you could leave without explaining anything, you’re likely to get questions from other people outside the conversation, which can be just as off-putting as staying inside.
Steps to leave a group chat
Since you now know why you should leave the group chat, it’s time to unpack the steps that will allow you to do the same and enjoy your peace of mind.
- Tap the chat or group to leave a group text message.
- Go to the group icons at the top of the thread.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Leave this Conversation.
- Now click the Info button and then select “Leave This Conversation” if you are using iOS 14 or earlier.
Can I mute a group text on my iPhone?
Are you hesitant to leave the group chat or are you thinking about what other people in the group are saying? Don’t worry, we have a solution for you!! Mute the chat and enjoy your time without getting those annoying notifications.
Follow the steps mentioned here to perform the process.
- First, select the group text message and tap it.
- At the top of the thread, tap the group icons.
- If you’re using iOS 14 or earlier, go to the top of the screen and click the group icons, then the Info button.
- Scroll down the page and enable ‘Hide alerts’.
- Touch the Notifications button after swiping left on the group text message in your conversation list.
- When Hide Alerts is enabled in iOS 15, the icon appears on the right side of the discussion.
- If you’re using iOS 14 or earlier, a crescent moon icon will appear next to the topic.
Keep in mind that: Note that the Hide Alerts feature will disable notifications for a specific group text message, but not for all your messages. All other messages and alerts are received as usual.
So that’s all about how to leave the group chat on your iPhone. Sometimes group chat annoys you and in that case you can leave a group text message or you can also turn off notifications for certain groups of text messages.
You are free to leave any group conversation you want without any reason. So what are you waiting for? Follow the steps mentioned above and get rid of the toxic ones.