iOS 16 added several new features, including passkeys. This means that iPhone users can now use passwords instead of passwords. The advantage of using passkeys is that they are more secure. Not only that, but they also provide a faster way to log into your accounts.
How to use passkeys iOS 16
Once you start using passkeys, you don’t have to remember your passwords anymore. But since access keys are a new concept, many of you are not sure how to use them. In this guide, we cover everything you need to know about iOS 16 access keys.
What are Apple’s access keys?
Simply put, passkeys are unique virtual keys that are stored on your device. You can use passkeys to replace passwords. Because passkeys are end-to-end encrypted, they are a more secure option than passwords.
How to Use Passkey iOS 16 on iPhone
Apple passwords work with Face ID or Touch ID. It uses iCloud Keychain technology to sync across all your iOS devices. In addition, they are also associated with the site or app they were created for. This protects you against phishing and other cyber attacks.
Passkeys allow you to keep your online accounts secure and access them without using passwords.
How to create password on iOS 16?
Now that you know what passkeys are, let’s see how to create one on your iPhone. Before starting the steps, make sure your iPhone is upgraded to iOS 16. In addition, you must have an account with an app or site that supports passkeys.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- First log in to your account.
- Go to the Account Settings section.
- Look for the security options.
- The menu name that allows you to create a password varies by app or website. For example, CTAP, FIDO, FIDO2, face or fingerprint login, WebAuthn, or Passkey.
- Follow the instructions on your screen.
- The access key you create is stored in your iCloud Keychain. You can use it every time you try to login to the website or app.
Note: When you create an access key, it is specific to a particular app or site. This means creating different access keys for different sites and apps.
How do you use a password on an iPhone?
Once you start using passkeys, you no longer need passwords. You can use passkeys to upgrade your security.
To use passkeys on your iPhone, you need to follow these steps:
- Open the site or app for which you created the passcode.
- In the login screen, select the option ‘Passkey’.
- Tap the “Email address” box and enter the address requested by your device.
- A pop-up will appear on the screen asking if you want to log in with your password. Select ‘Continue’.
- Authorize with Touch ID or Face ID to sign in to your account.
How do passkeys work?
Passkeys are a standard introduced by the World Wide Web Consortium and the FIDO Alliance. It can be described as cryptographic keys associated with a device to confirm its identity.
Passkeys consist of a private and a public pair. While it’s stored privately on your device, it’s publicly registered with a service. By exchanging public-private keys, the service and device can confirm the identity of the user.
Users must confirm their identity before the exchange takes place. This is made possible with biometric technology such as Touch ID or Face ID. Once you have verified your identity, the device will perform the exchange to allow you to access the service.
Benefits of using access keys
Passwords are more secure than passwords. They also allow you to log into your account faster. The main benefits of passkeys are:
- You don’t need to remember a password
- No password to steal
- Passkeys are stored on your device or iCloud Keychain
- Uses Touch ID and Face ID for authorization
- Works with non-Apple and security devices
- Can be synced with iCloud keychain across devices
- More secure than passwords
Passkeys are better and more secure than passwords. Although it is a new concept, it is appreciated by many users. It is expected that passwords will replace the use of passwords in the future. But there is still a long way to go before that point is reached.