WhatsApp is a great platform for instant messaging and connecting with people around the world through video calls and messages. As time goes by, WhatsApp comes out with new features every now and then, giving users what they need to work around this application. With the rollout of new features, this time the Meta app came with a new feature called Communities. We already had WhatsApp groups, broadcasting, adding status and group video calls, and now WhatsApp has released communities along with new features such as creating in-chat polls, video calls up to 32 people and group video calls up to 1024 users. The main purpose behind this feature is to help connect groups useful to the users on WhatsApp.
What is the WhatsApp Community?
WhatsApp Communities is similar to the function of the group except you can add more users. The difference between WhatsApp groups and communities is that WhatsApp groups allow members to join a single chat, but WhatsApp communities allow you to put all groups combined in one space. To put it in simple terms, WhatsApp communities are a collection of groups that link all your individual groups together and form an announcement space.
You do not need to select the groups individually. If you want to send a particular message to all group chats, all you need to do is create a community and send it to the announcement area. It will make your work easier and help you save time.
“Today we are excited to share our vision for a new feature we are adding to WhatsApp called Communities. Since the launch of WhatsApp in 2009, we’ve focused on how we can help people make the most of a face-to-face conversation when they want to talk to a person or a group of friends or family. We also often hear from people using WhatsApp to communicate and coordinate within a community.” – Mark Zuckerberg (Meta CEO)
Create a community in WhatsApp iOS
- Open the WhatsApp app on your iPhone.
- Tap the write icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Click the New Community option.
- Tap the Get started option.
- Click edit to add a profile picture.
- Enter the community name.
- Describe your new community.
- Click Next.
- Select the option create a new group or add an existing group.
- If you select the Create New Group option, you must enter the group topic, which will display the group name to all participants.
- You can add up to ten new groups.
- You can specify a group icon and a short description of the group.
- Participants can be added later.
- If you select the Add Existing Group option: You can add groups in which you are currently an administrator to your community.
- Choose which groups to include and then click the green arrow button.
- Click the green check mark after you’re done adding groups to your community.
WhatsApp allows up to 512 people to join a group. However, this limitation will soon be increased to 1,024 people. One WhatsApp community group, on the other hand, can manage up to 21 groups, meaning a maximum of 21,504 users can be used. However, a community announcement group on WhatsApp can have up to 5000 members.
Remark: WhatsApp community does not allow group video calls or voice calls. And the community admin rights are similar to the group admin.
That’s it, folks! Let us know what you think of the new WhatsApp community feature, and what other features WhatsApp should have, in the comment box below.
Until next time, with another topic. Until then, Toodles.